Fans in Concord, NC will get to witness history this Saturday as the first ever SuperMotocross World Championship race will take place at the zMAX Dragway.
Many riders have been making headlines in the 450 and 250 classes throughout the 2023 Monster Energy Supercross and Pro Motocross seasons, but who will it be taking home the grand prize on September 23 in Los Angeles?
Here are five stories to watch heading into the first playoff event:
- Jett Lawrence and Chase Sexton’s impressive streaks (450): It’s been well documented that Jett Lawrence went 22-0 during the 2023 Pro Motocross season, but Chase Sexton has been no slouch either, finishing 2nd in 13 of the 16 motos that he lined up for during the season. He also enters the playoffs with the red plate.
- Speedway advantage (450): While the SuperMotocross racetracks will feature unique challenges that haven’t been seen before, the first two will be held at speedways. Riders that tend to perform well at the speedway Supercross tracks include Cooper Webb, Chase Sexton, Dylan Ferrandis and Justin Barcia, whereas Jason Anderson tends to place better at tighter Supercross venues.
- Red plate (450): Chase Sexton enters Concord, NC with the red plate. Four riders have held the red place during the 2023 SuperMotocross season, including Sexton, Jett Lawrence, Eli Tomac and the returning Cooper Webb, who will be a serious threat.
- Hunter’s incredible form (250): While he certainly had some challengers, Hunter put on a strong 2023 campaign, with his 14 SMX wins being the third most in a season all time. Additionally, he scored 25 podium finishes in his 32 starts throughout the Monster Energy Supercross and Pro Motocross seasons.
- Multiple winners (250): 13 athletes on the 250 starting gate have won in the past, with eight of them having won this year. Notables include Jo Shimoda, who went 1-1 at Ironman last week, and Haiden Deegan, although he was losing consistency toward the end of the Pro Motocross season. However, Deegan, as well as Justin Cooper, has a good record at speedway Supercross tracks.